June 17, 2020 // By Magenic
Implementing consistent QE processes and best practices resulting in significant cost and time efficiencies.
A public accounting, consulting and technology firm engaged Magenic to create a new audit archive platform. Their current audit platform had no offline archiving functionality, and audits were simply locked down on the platform. The archiving platform also needed to support the firm’s record retention and regulatory compliance needs.
We partnered with our Client to define our QE goals were to:
- Develop a risk-based testing strategy to verify proper functionality based on Client requirements and priorities
- Develop defect management guidelines that would help the team have a consistent process thru the development lifecycle
- Perform focused risk-based regression testing to validate end-to-end workflows
- Prepare and assist the team in faster more frequent successful deployments
Magenic implemented a CI:CD DevOps-enabled automation deployment pipeline and developed a project-level testing process that incorporated scalable agile processes to increase efficiency.
The team utilized a risk-based approach to properly balance and focus automation and manual testing, and implemented Magenic’s automation framework to integrate automated testing with a new CI:CD process. This enabled the Client to receive early feedback on build and deployment quality, and established the framework for the successful deployment of both the current and future projects.
The team worked with the client to establish defect management guidelines to be consistent with defect process throughout the development lifecycle of the current and future projects.
Given the automation framework created, the team was able to establish risk-based regression tests to validate end-to-end workflows along with smoke test to be performed to enable more frequent deployments within the organization.
Magenic successfully developed a new audit archive platform the met the Client’s record retention and regulatory compliance needs for offline storage. Magenic also worked with the client to migrate all frozen audits into the new platform.
Magenic implemented consistent QE processes and best practices resulting in significant cost and time efficiencies. These included:
- By leveraging Magenic’s MAQS automation framework, initial framework set-up and implementation time reduced by 90%
Automating Smoke Tests
- Post-merge smoke testing reduced from 2 days of manual testing to 15 minutes
- Result was a standardized deployment pipeline that was less expensive and easier to maintain
- Enabled more frequent deployments as compared to the client’s other platforms
Automating Regression Testing
- Regression cycle times reduced from +60 hours of manual testing to 3 hours